So I've been meaning to post about my recent sewing projects, but was having trouble with my cameras adaptor so it didn't happen until now. After my pincushion, I wasn't too sure what to make. I wanted to make a seat cover but never really got around to it. I got in a bunch of great fabric, and just wasn't sure.
So I decided to embellish my lab coat before the lab I TA started. Just something simple. So I sewed ribbon onto the pockets. Of course, I didn't have enough of one colour for all three. So I went with black for the two larger pockets:
And burgundy for the smaller one:
I picked a ribbon with a subtle polka-dot pattern. My supervisor / boss / program coordinator Denis noticed. And asked why I hadn't done the sleeves too. Maybe for next week.
Next, while at the grocery store, I picked up a magazine called Sew Simple (vol 10). I found this great pattern for a pillow cover, envelope-style:
I used fabric I received from fabricsupplies: Joel Dewberry - buttercup in deep water. This fabric supplies shop was really easy to work with, putting together a custom order for me no problem. And shipping was pretty speedy too.
Here's a close-up of the flap. I need to work on my pattern making and cutting... it wasn't exactly straight... I also used a button instead of a loop and chopstick the instructions called for. But my machine did both the button hole and the button, so I was quite impressed with that. The inside of the flap is lined with Amy Butler - seeds in okra. I really like how the fabrics contrast yet still match. All in all, I'm quite pleased. Next, I really want to make fabric napkins. I just have to decide on whether they'll be single or double-sided, and whether I should make them "quilted" in order to show off more fabric.