Tuesday night: stuffed zucchini and cake!
I made this quick & easy stuffed zucchini the other night - it was delicious! So good, I just had to make it again. It's real simple too:
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (not sure how much that made cooked - around a cup)
1 garlic clove
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
ricotta cheese, optional
basil, salt, pepper
1. Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, parboil the zucchini. Or better yet, cook it in the microwave. Poke holes in the zucchini with a fork. Depending on your microwave & the size/number of your zucchini, nuke them for 4 - 8 minutes. Until they're somewhat soft & cooked. Let them cool a bit while you prepare the stuffing.
3. Chop the tomato. Chop the garlic (so much easier now that I have a garlic press!) - it's fairly garlicky so use a small clove or less if you prefer. Mix together with some herbs & spices (use whatever you like - I had fresh basil, parsley & cilantro plus salt & pepper).
4. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Lop off the top & bottom if you prefer. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds & flesh, leaving a thin shell. Make sure you leave enough so that the skin can stand up, like a boat. If you have a big zucchini with lots of seeds, you can discard these, but I just chopped it all up & added it all to the bowl of filling.
5. Mix in the quinoa.
6. Mix in the mozzarella cheese. Use as much cheese as you want - you can reserve some for sprinkling on top, or just use more.
7. Line the insides of the zucchini with ricotta cheese. I only did this the second time I made these - either way it's delicious. Just creamier with the ricotta.
8. Stuff. Spoon as much filling as you can into the zucchini. Press it down & add more - until there's none left.
9. Cook for 10 - 15 min at 350F. The timing will depend on how thick the zucchini boats are and how small the filling was chopped. It's done once the cheese is all melted & it's hot all the way through.
But leave room for.....
Oh man this was SO good!!! And really, it's only a box of white cake, split into 2:
With whipped milk chocolate icing (also storebought) & sprinkles. Yum!