I found this recipe on Bakerella - but of course her cupcakes are much fancier than mine. They have a decadent goat cheese frosting and a chocolate ganache filling. But I figured they'd be an easy way to use up my last zucchini if I got rid of all the frills - it wasn't like I was baking these for anyone but myself! And they were oh so tasty! Even Pat ate one without realizing there was zucchini in it (though he saw the pile of shredded zucchini before it got incorporated into the batter)!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup half & half cream (or whole milk)
1 cup shredded/grated zucchini (about 1 medium sized)
around 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt with a whisk. Set aside.
3. Cream butter. Add in sugar, eggs, oil & vanilla, beating well between each addition.
4. Mix in the flour & milk alternating between the two, with 3 additions of flour and 2 additions of milk (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Mix well between each addition.
5. Gently mix in zucchini & chocolate chips. Fill muffin / cupcake cups 2/3 full & bake for 15-18 minutes.
Easy Vanilla Frosting
3 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 tbsp half & half cream (or whole milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Beat all ingredients together. Add more or less icing sugar to reach desired consistency.
2. Ice cupcakes.